Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to Iraq...and Welcome to this World

Well, Jeremy finally arrived at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Rustamiyah in Baghdad, Iraq at 4:00a.m. on Sunday the 13th. By the time he called me he'd had some time to rest up and get settled into his permanent living quarters (which he was very happy about!) Jeremy described Rustamiyah as a ghetto base, in a ghetto part of Baghdad, with a sewage treatment plant on one side, and a garbage dump on the other. Their first two weeks on base are being spent with the unit their replacing, getting shown around the area and learning all they can from the experience of the previous unit. Jeremy got to go out on his first patrol this morning, toting his M240B machine gun that he's immensely happy about getting to carry. Jeremy's happy to finally be there, doing what he was trained for, and I'm having so much fun hearing about all the things he's experiencing over there. I'm pretty sure I married the coolest guy I know...

While Jeremy was midway though his second day at Rustamiyah, I was going in to labor. Best as I can tell the first "real" contractions woke me up somewhere around three. After the third one I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up to time them. After about ten that were six minutes apart, I woke up my Mom (who flew in Friday for the eminent delivery) to tell her I might be in labor and I was getting in the shower. By the time I got out of the shower they were two minutes apart. By the time the Dr. finally called back they were still two minutes apart and getting pretty intense. By the time Mrs. Minter arrived to drop off Hannah (to stay with Reuben) and drive us to the hospital, my water had broken and my contractions were a minute long and a minute apart. By the time we arrived at the hospital it was time to start pushing and if they didn't have wheel chairs I never would have made it to the maternity ward. 13 minutes after being wheeled across the threshold of the delivery room, Anna Beth Minter was born at 6:55a.m. on July 14th, as pink and healthy as any baby you ever saw. She weighed 7lb 15oz and was 19 inches long.

Anna's been nursing like a champ, right from the start, and her weight is already up to 8lb 2.5oz at five days old. Reuben is adjusting well to having a little sister, though he had a rough time spending so much time away from his Mama earlier this week. My recovery after four hours of labor has been remarkably easier than my recovery from 24 hours of labor (with Reuben). Unfortunately I've been feeling so good I sort of overdid it, and I'm moving a little slow this morning. Having two precious little ones is ten times more wonderful than I ever imagined. I am a little curious how well I'll handle this once my Mom has to go back to Texas and I'm flying solo with these little darlings, but God will give grace for that when we get there.


Thank you, yet again, for covering our family with your prayers during this time. God's presence has been very real, and His grace beyond comparison.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is precious Brandy! May God bless your family!

Blessings,
Christa (McDonald from North Belt) Blanchard

Lee Anne said...

Hi Brandy,
Congratulations! Anna Beth is beautiful, and you look glowing! I honestly cannot imagine flying solo with just one baby, so you are a hero to be doing it with two. From your previous posts, it sounds like you have an amazing support system though.

Best wishes!

Love,
Lee Anne (your cousin in GA)

Rae said...

Brandy! Anna is so beautiful!! Congratulations!!! :D How exciting!! It was so great to read the update. You've been in my prayers!

Love,
Rachel