Monday, September 17, 2012

saying fairwell to our fairytale summer

Desperately needed to get out of the house and away from computer work Saturday, and there were these tree trimmings lying around in the back yard. So I built a kid size ladder. Just high enough to climb the apple tree and scale the boulder.

In other news, we took out the sail boat Jeremy traded for a pressure washing job as a family for the first time Sunday. It wasn't pretty (ie: Jeremy and I still ain't that great at sailing), but the kids had a blast, and it was a stupendously perfect day to be out on the water. Jeremy & Stephen befriended some random onlookers who knew how to sail and convinced them to go out with them after the kids and I had had our fun and headed home. The husband was a seasoned old sailer and the bros had a great time out there with him at the helm.

Also, Levi is now 1, and addicted to the backyard and most especially the razer trike that uncle Willie gave Reuben. He's walking and climbing everything. :)
Just generaly enjoying the final remnants of summer around here, as you can see from the family snapshots we've been accumulating.

Jeremy and I have both been working super long hours on our respective businesses. I've experienced some relapse with the chest pains and extream fatigue from earlier this year as I slacked off on taking care of myself. Trying to get back to juicing, actually eating meals instead of just feeding everyone else and eating their scraps 'cause I just don't feel like fixing one more plate. You know, that sort of thing.

We are *loving* this season of parenting where kids talk, little personalities blossom, and all the awesome stuff pre-school/kindergarteners say and do. Like Reuben randomly telling me the other day "Sometimes when chickens are afraid, they poop eggs at you. [pause for effect] That's in the real world Mom, I've seen it."

They continue to love learning about creatures, and often suprise us with what they have learned. Last night Jeremy was commenting on the nature show we were watching, intrigued that apes and monkies are not the same thing, and how do you tell the difference. "Monkeys have looong tails Daddy." Says Anna, "That's how you know."

Lately the kids love watching "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe", and have become thoroughly enamoured with the idea of hard work and getting dirty. They jump at the chance to do anything they percieve to be a dirty job and then, as they work, mimic Mike Rowe with emphatic statements like "This is a dirty job!" or "I'm Reuben Minter, and *this* is my job!"

We've already got the Fall chill up here in New England. And everytime I have to put on a jacket or a pair of socks, I mourn the passing of Summer. Trying to focus on the apple picking and cider and pies and pumpkin bread instead of the six months of being cold that lie ahead.

Growing in grace and the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, and praying the same for all of you ~ Brandy 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Well, tonight was my night to read blogs and I much enjoyed yours. You give me a glimpse of what our life might look like in six months or so :-) Glad you're enjoying the backyard so much!